Friday, September 02, 2005

1 Peter 4:1-11

Oh how I feel guilty for writing my post of complaints the other day. I have an inner struggle with the true emotions and feelings I have about watching the world around me but also the reminder of need to be thankful and compassionate.

I can understand the complaining of people who are still stranded in New Orleans and elsewhere but is it really right for press conferences to be held saying that not enough is being done? Maybe I'm naive but I'm seeing as much effort as could possibly be given to help these destroyed towns. Yes, it seems like we should all be able to do MORE but in reality, it's a TOUGH situation and there is no magic wand that will save everyone at once. I know there must be so much agony hovering in the air over the people southwest of here.

I hurt for the people who are being deceived by the Great Deceiver and who are sinking farther into their misery instead of hanging on to the hope and blessing of the life they still have. I'm sure there are many who wish they had died (suicide already being an issue) but that is such an offense to God. Oh how I hope that we as Christians can do what we are supposed to do to help them. Giving money is important, I know, and is something we all should do ( http://www.samaritanspurse.com/ ) but it's a shame it's so difficult to do much more.

I'd like to go down there to be available if anyone needed anything. I'd like to open my home to someone who needs a place to stay. The reality of these two things seems so difficult, though... But maybe God will show us where we can help more. Obviously, He provides the strength to do whatever He wants us to do and I know that if He wants me/us to do more in our family, He will provide the way.

Here's God's Word 1 Peter 4:1-11

1Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. 2As a result, he does not live the rest of his earthly life for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. 3For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you. 5But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
7The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. 8Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. 11If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: