Saturday, August 05, 2006

Those Sad Commercials

I REALLY dislike watching those "Christian Children's Fund" commercials that come on numerous times every day. I don't know exactly what it is about them that frustrate me but I have to turn it away every time. I think it's because the children seem like actors...one little boy even looks like he's going to smile just before the camera cuts away. I just picture the director of the commercial coaching them on their sad-faces. It seems too orchestrated or something.

BUT, since I don't want to bad-mouth a charity without looking into it first, I did a search for them at Charity Navigator. I was pleased to find out that "Christian Children's Fund" is actually a 3-star charity (4-star being highest ranked). That made me feel better. At least the charity is legit and doing good with its money. So, even though I still choose a different (and 4-star) charity to give my money to, I will provide a link to this CCF one in effort to make-up for the disgust I've had over their commercials.

I highly recommend checking Charity Navigator for EVERY charity you wish to support.

3 comments:

J.D. said...

I've been seeing the same Christian Children's Fund commercial for my whole life. Seriously, I think they've been airing the same one all these years. Chances are that old man in the commercial is dead and those kids are long since grown. :) Still, I've never heard anything really bad about them.

Jenny said...

"Meet Cindy. She lives in a cardboard box on the side of a mountain."

True commercial.

I hate them too.

:) said...

LOL - I remember the "Meet Cindy" one!!!

This is yet another reason I heart my TiVo!